Thursday, February 11, 2010

Touch the poor mans hand

My father once told me about about a story of his friend. The man was a malay and he too was a politician, he once asked his mother how can he succedd in his carrier. His mother being poor once, said" son, go and touch as much poor man hands as you can". I am very lucky to be born in a economically stable family and i guess that is why i do not know what it means to be poor, until yesterday. I was following my father around giving away some goods to the poor as this is the festive year. We came across many old houses but one stuck in my mind particularly well. There was this indian women staying with her daughter in a old almost rotten wooden house yet they were joyful to greet us. I was amazed that they were still able to hold on to happiness despite their current dismayal state. I was touched deeply, touched that i altough had a rather comfortable life never knew how appreciate it. I then finally figured one thing out and that is happiness has to be earned, it cannot be bought no one has the ability to buy real hapiness. After getting on the car, i looked back at them, seeing their happy faces holding the angpau  along with some food we gave them really met my day. If I have the chance, I would want to meet the mother of my father's friend and thank her for the simple advice that she gave to her son. I have touched nearly a hundred poor man's hand that day, and I intend to touch more in the future not for the glory, but for the warmness in my heart after touching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment